Despite the glitter, glamour, and the tempation to go over-the-top during the holidays, it’s the little things that make the holidays so magical. This year, inspired by blogger @simplykellya, we’re being mindful to slow down and to choose simplicity for wrapping our gifts. Enter natural gift wrapping! Our botanically inspired gift-wrapping ideas will make you feel as good about gifting as your loved ones do about receiving.
Think about it, once the entire family has finished opening their gifts, a pile of non-recylable wrapping is usually left behind. With little effort, you can feel good about taking part in a more earth-friendly Christmas!
Here’s What You’ll Need!
- Paper: For the earthy look, go for kraft, simple white or upcycled newspaper.
- Toppers: Fresh spruce, cedar, and pine clippings are instore at this time of year. Better yet, they can freeze, so you don’t need to worry about them wilting.
- Little Extras: Twine, butcher string, jute, or vintage ribbons and yarn.
- Inner Wrapping: Protect the gift inside the box using newspaper, or upcycled fabrics from old sweaters and clothes.
- Boxes: Visit local stores to ask if you can use their used materials. At Shelmerdine, we make every effort to recycle our packaging – just ask!
- Santa Sack: Turn a used or upcylcled bedsheet as a way to gather up all of your gifts into a sack!
While the final result is elegant, simplicity is at the heart here. Use whatever you have on hand, or even what you can find in your backyard, or local thriftshop. The best part? You’ll reap all of the added benefits of working with nature — the perfect thing to keep a calm and happy Christmas mind. We hope that you enjoy practising these natural gift wrapping ideas and that they bring you peace and joy!
Merry Christmas – xo Team Shelmerdine